The Philadelphia Eagles concluded their 2021 preseason schedule on Friday night with a road game against the New York Jets. Final score: Eagles 31, Jets 31. A friggin tie! Read on for some observations and stay tuned for more postgame coverage.
- Joe Flacco got the start under center with Jalen Hurts sitting out.
- Quez Watkins and Jalen Reagor started on the outside at wide receiver. The only first team starters to play. DeVonta Smith did not dress.
- Sua Opeta allowed pressure up the middle to force Flacco into taking off running.
- Boston Scott put a nifty juke on a Jets defender on a catch-and-run for a 49-yard touchdown. Scott owns both the Giants and Jets, apparently.
- The Eagles had punter Arryn Siposs, not Jake Elliott, handle kickoff duties.
- The Jets started journeyman Josh Johnson, not Zach Wilson, at quarterback.
- Michael Jacquet gave up multiple catches on the Jets’ first touchdown drive, including the score. Not going to be making this team.
- John Hightower got playing time before Travis Fulgham and J.J. Arcega-Whiteside. Hmm.
- Kenny Gainwell had five carries for 32 carries and a touchdown on the Eagles’ second drive. Also one reception for 15 yards. Really finishing the summer strong.
- Andre Dillard had a couple of nice run blocks for Gainwell. Didn’t look as hot in pass protection.
- T.Y. McGill had a tackle for loss as he continues to make a case to be on the roster.
- Greg Ward had a really bad wide open drop on a good throw from Flacco. Out of character.
- Tarron Jackson avoided a block to tackle Michael Carter for loss and force the Jets to a red zone field goal. Does Jackson make the roster?
- Jack Stoll dropped a pass over the middle. The ball was thrown right to his hands. Bad.
- Dillard had a pretty bad false start.
- J.J. Arcega-Whiteside caught a pass for a first down! And then another for a 42-yard touchdown! Roster spot confirmed?
- McGill sacked James Morgan for a 12-yard loss on third down to force a punt. McGill has not been easy to block.
- Nick Mullens entered the game to end Flacco’s night.
- For the second week in a row, Travis Fulgham didn’t seem regular playing time until the second half. Doesn’t seem like a great sign.
- Le’Raven Clark replaced Dillard at left tackle.
- Grayland Arnold dropped a pick.
- Kevon Seymour came up with a pick after it initially looked like the Jets had a catch. The play was reviewed and the ruling was upheld but not confirmed. Favorable outcome for the Birds.
- Matt Pryor struggled.
- Andrew Adams was slow to react to a jet sweep and missed the open field tackle. Then he got run over by Ty Johnson. Not a good night for the veteran safety.
- Marlon Tuipulotu finally did something! Tackled Josh Adams for a loss.
- Fulgham made a tough catch … only to fumble the ball into the end zone for a touchback with possession going to the Jets. Just not a great summer for Fulgham.
- Patrick Johnson got lost in coverage on a touchdown allowed to Jets UDFA tight end Kenny Yeboah.
- Zech McPhearson picked off James Morgan on a two-point conversion attempt.
- Nick Mullens threw wide of Stoll on a chance to get a first down to end the game.
- Jacquet stripped Daniel Brown as the Jets’ tight end was going to the ground and scooped and scored to seal the game. Some redemption for No. 38.
- Tarron Jackson strip-sacked Morgan.
- Morgan connected with Yeboah on a Hail Mary touchdown, lol. Bad job by Jacquet and Adams for not being able to break it up. The Jets went for two to play for the tie and … they got it. Former Eagles running back Josh Adams punched it in. What a weird end to the preseason.
Joe Flacco: 13/16 (81.3%), 188 yards (11.8 average), 2 TD, 0 INT, 155.2 passer rating
After struggling against the Pats’ starters last week, Flacco bounced back against the Jets’ backups.
Nick Mullens: 10/14 (71.4%), 92 yards (8.4 average), 0 TD, 0 INT, 97.5 passer rating
Unlike his first two preseason games, Mullens didn’t look like a total disaster! But it doesn’t really matter as he’ll still be cut.
- Patrick Johnson (shoulder) got banged up in the third quarter. Took a helmet shot to his right arm. He returned.
- Kevon Seymor (concussion) was evaluated in the fourth quarter and cleared to return.
- Josiah Scott (hamstring) got hurt in the fourth quarter and was ruled out.
- Raequan Williams got hurt in the fourth quarter.
The preseason is over! The Eagles have off this weekend. Final cuts are right around the corner as NFL teams must trim down from 80 to 53 players before 4:00 PM ET on Tuesday, August 31. As always, stay tuned to BGN for complete coverage.